1) Are there any scholarship opportunities for this program?

Based on your score in the placement exam, you may be eligible to receive a partial scholarship for the SUNY-METU dual diploma program. In addition, during your enrollment in the program, a limited number of scholarships are available for academic achievement. Please visit the following link for more information:



2)    Are there any pre-conditions that need to be met in order to go to SUNY Binghamton in the second or fourth years? 

Yes. You need to maintain a “satisfactory” status with your cumulative grade point average (CGPA) which means it has to be greater than or equal to 2.00. In addition, you need to present an English proficiency document (TOEFL or IELTS). Lastly, you need to obtain a student visa from the American Consulate.  


3)    What is the English proficiency document? 

You have to present an English proficiency document (TOEFL or IELTS) in order to be a student at the SUNY campus. Please visit the following link in order to see the minimum score requirements: https://suny.metu.edu.tr/information-international-applicants

Also, please note that you need the same English proficiency document for your visa application as well. It is highly recommended that you take the English proficiency exam several months before you have to apply for the visa (For example, it is advisable to take the exam by February if you plan on going to the SUNY campus in the following August for the fall semester)


4)  What is the visa application process?  

You need several documents to complete your visa application process. These documents are your TOEFL/IELTS score, high school transcript, a bank statement demonstrating that you have enough funds to pay the tuition and other living expenses at SUNY Binghamton, and other documents necessary for registration. Once these documents are approved by SUNY Binghamton, their international student office will send the I-20 document and some other forms that need to be filled out for your visa application. Please note that it is the student’s responsibility to carry out the visa application process. Program coordinators at METU and SUNY will also provide guidance.


5)  Is there a minimum academic performance level that need to be maintained in order to be eligible to go to SUNY Binghamton?   

According to METU undergraduate rules and regulations, students need to maintain a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 2.0 in order to maintain their “satisfactory” status and to be eligible to go to SUNY Binghamton in their third semester. If a student’s CGPA is below 2.0 at the end of their second semester in the program, s/he will not be able to take courses from upper classes and will need to repeat the first two semesters’ courses until her/his CGPA increases to 2.0 or higher.  If a student’s CGPA is 2.0 or higher but the student has failed too many courses at METU implying that they will not be able to take the necessary number of courses at SUNY, then it may not be possible for this student to go to SUNY in their third semester. Such a student’s eligibility to go to SUNY will be decided by the program coordinators and the Faculty Executive Committee.


6) What is the tuition amount for the SUNY Binghamton program?    

For the most up-to-date tuition information, please visit the following link: https://suny.metu.edu.tr/information-international-applicants


7) When I am at the SUNY campus, do I have to stay at the dorms? If I stay at the dorms, is it possible to share my room with a friend? 

Although it is not a requirement for you to stay at the dorms while you are at the SUNY Binghamton campus, it is highly recommended so that you will be able to make new friends, benefit from different opportunities offered by the campus life and to adjust to living in the US sooner and more easily. In addition, when you live on campus, you will be able to avoid transportation and utility costs such as water, electricity etc. When you stay at the dorms, it is possible to request to stay with a friend but it is recommended that you stay with someone you do not already know so that you may improve your English speaking skills and learn about other cultures and ways of life. 


8) Is it possible to take classes at METU during summer school? What is the tuition for summer school courses?  

It may be possible to offer summer school courses at METU provided that at least five students enroll in each course. The tuition for summer school SUNY courses will be the same as the regular METU summer school tuition but will be paid into the SUNY account. 


9) Will I be affected from tuition increases during my 4 years in the program? 

Yes. This rule is also stated in the official program brochures.


10) Is it possible to take the “General Education Requirement” courses at METU or to completely avoid taking this course?  

You have to complete a number of General Education (GenEd) courses as part of the requirements for the SUNY diploma. Whether a course given at METU can be counted towards SUNY’s GenEd requirements will be decided by the program coordinators.


11) What happens if I cannot obtain an USA visa? 

Although you are not expected to have any problems, if you fail to obtain a visa, you may request to transfer to an equivalent program in Turkey or abroad. If it is not possible to do such a transfer, then you may apply to the Higher Education Council of Turkey to get placed in an equivalent program in Turkey. 


12) What are the transportation alternatives between the New York JFK Airport and the SUNY Binghamton campus?

If you plan your trip to the US as a group of students and if you inform the program coordinators in advance regarding your arrival, the SUNY campus will arrange for your transfer between the airport and the campus. 

Last Updated:
26/09/2022 - 16:38